One of my favorites places

One of my favorites places
Chicago's Millennium Park

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Being a wife to a veteran with PTSD

PTSD-Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder- a mental health disorder that can come after a traumatic event, like abuse, war, or disaster. My brave husband served 3 tours overseas, 1 in Afghanistan and 2 in Iraq. He served as a Sergeant in the 101st Airborne. I'm proud of his service. I tear up every time I see or hear a news story about a veteran or active duty military person. It always gets to me. I know what he has sacrificed, I know the horrors that he relives, I know the anxiety and restlessness he deals with on a regular basis. My husband has PTSD. He has been going to counseling at the VA for CPT-cogntive processing therapy.  He has weekly assignments where he describes in-depth his triggers and how he felt during this particular parts of his past. He has a hard time being in large groups, it's sometimes difficult to watch firework displays, if we go out to eat he has to sit where we can see the exits and all the tables-he doesn't like having his back exposed. He doesn't have dramatic episodes where he "hits the deck" if he hears something loud. He is sometimes easily angered and frustrated. He sometimes has a hard time expressing his feelings. He has nightmares and is often restless at night. We've had a really great week and a couple really rough ones. You can't always control the triggers. I say all this so people have a better understanding when talking to and being around people that have PTSD. It may not be a veteran, someone who's experience combat, it may be a first responder-fire fighter/EMT, police officer, someone who's experienced any type of abuse. Veterans have sacrificed so much for us and our freedoms and at a great price. I wouldn't change this experience, I know in the end we will be a stronger and better couple for it. I just wish I knew exactly what to say or what to do. I often find myself just listening, being quiet and praying a lot (which is always a good thing, right?). I want him to know he is not alone, I want him to know how much he is loved, by so many people. I want him to know we will get through this together. I want him to know how much I care and cherish him. I want him to feel peace. I want him to turn to God throughout this process. I want him to get a good nights sleep. I want, I want, I want...God knows what we need and when we need it. It's amazing how often I need reminded of this. This is not more than we can handle. I sometimes feel defeated. But I don't have to be, I know He is here through it all, walking in the middle of us.

1 comment:

  1. I love you so much, Chantelly. You are a wonderful wife to your husband, and even though at times you are at a loss in how to help him get through a rough time, know that God picked you specifically for him. Time will show you why.
    You are right. Your husband is not alone. He has God, he has you, he has his family, and he has us - his friends - on his side.

    Love you so much, Nina

    ReplyDelete