One of my favorites places

One of my favorites places
Chicago's Millennium Park

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Flying Pig

The Flying Pig is a Cincinnati tradition which includes a full marathon, half marathon, 10K, and 5K races. I have done a few 5Ks and have really enjoyed it. I've contemplated completing a 10K and even a half. I decided I wanted to run a half marathon before I turn 30. While running the other day I decided that I could in fact complete a half marathon (13.2 miles). The Flying Pig is May 1 so that gives me 14 weeks to train. I figure now is the best time, I'm running consistently and I have all the time to train for one. I'm pretty excited about this new commitment and challenge.

Thinking about running a race reminded me of the scripture in Hebrews 12 (v.1-3) that discusses our spiritual race:
 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith.[a] Because of the joy[b] awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne. 3Think of all the hostility he endured from sinful people;[c] then you won’t become weary and give up. 4 After all, you have not yet given your lives in your struggle against sin.  (NLT) 


We are called to persevere and get rid of our old ways and everything that keeps us from reaching our ultimate goal. To reach our goals we have to keep our focus on the single most important thing in our lives: Christ, who allows us to throw off the old ugly self and in turn allows us to be made righteous and bridges the gap between us and God. 
Run the good race!

No comments:

Post a Comment