One of my favorites places

One of my favorites places
Chicago's Millennium Park

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Planning a Wedding

Dan and I are getting married in 6 months. We have been engaged for 5. Thus far I have found a dress, found a cake baker (my super talented cousin Jaime), a photographer, a florist and a preacher [that one was easy :)  We have found a venue for the ceremony and reception and an invitation template. We have compiled a nearly-complete guest list. My friend Elina has graciously offered to make cupcakes for the reception. I have found some cute ideas for ceremony and reception decorations. We have also booked our honeymoon and bought our plane tickets to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise. Caribbean here we come!!

Amongst all the planning I am continually reminding myself that it is only ONE day. It's an incredibly special day, but ONE day. I can't justify spending a ton of money on one day. Throughout the ideas of the wedding I need to keep my focus on what is to come after Dan and I say "I do." The commitment, love, respect, forgiveness, grace, and submission that come along with those two words-with that ceremony of uniting ourselves together. It's so easy to get caught up in what everyone else will see-the ceremony decorations, the flowers, the reception tables....I won't be looking at those when I am standing up there pledging myself to honor and cherish Dan-he will hold my attention. While I want to create a special scene for the wedding, I need to spend more time on my heart in preparation for what is to come. A continual devotion with time with my Lord first before anything else. I cannot be a loving and faithful wife to Dan if I am an unfaithful daughter. I can't learn anything new unless I go back to the one who created me. I am in constant need of that reminder, those daily practices and spiritual disciplines.

No comments:

Post a Comment