One of my favorites places

One of my favorites places
Chicago's Millennium Park

Monday, May 20, 2013

Cutting out processed foods

I am not going to write exclusively about cutting out processed foods and trying to eat things more in their true to nature state. But I have found that I feel better and more satisfied by reducing the amount of processed foods Dan and I consume. I have been reading/following a blog 100 Days of Real Food with some good recipes and ideas on how to eat less processed food. So much of we eat is out of convenience that little thought is put into what goes into it. I am tired of eating preservatives and dyes and all kinds of excess foods that have gone through multiple processes to get into my mouth. I have switched to 100% whole wheat flour for when I do bake biscuits or make flour tortillas. I think people can become so obsessed or that it becomes more of a trend. I grew up eating non-organic and processed foods and I've been fine up until this point. I just wanted to give it a try and see if I noticed a difference. Some of the organic foods, an apple for example , taste more like an apple than non-organic. I haven't completely cut out processed foods, I still like to go to our local soft-serve ice cream  place weekly and some sweets now and then. I am learning to enjoy less process peanut butter which takes some getting used to since it is not nearly as sweet as what I am used. I am much more aware of what goes into our food and how our food is grown. I am enjoying however making new recipes like homemade whole wheat biscuits, flour tortillas, and corn bread. I am also looking forward to trying to make some homemade coffee creamer. Thankfully, Dan is on board and has been a really great sport about consuming some of my new recipes and flavors. So here's to trying something new!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! So happy that you and Dan are trying to eat healthier and be aware of what goes into your bodies.

    ReplyDelete