One of my favorites places

One of my favorites places
Chicago's Millennium Park

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Old Car, New Car

I was driving to the store after work on Friday to pick up some stuff to make for Saturday night get together at my friend's Kyle and Melissa's. I entered the ramp to get onto I-75 and my car couldn't go as fast and the engine was really loud, I don't know a lot about cars, but I knew something was wrong. So I prayed and God got me to my destination. I parked in a spot at WalMart and called my mom, sobbing about my poor little Gwen (my car). Mom was helping with a funeral dinner so I called my dad who provided me a number for a towing service. I could shift the gears but I could not reverse. I waited around for the tow truck. A little side bar history of my car, my first and only car-Gwen, a '99 Nissan Sentra I bought right before my senior year of high school started (2002), 3 years old, 28,000 miles, a great starter car and it lasted me until July 2, 2010. It was a little disheartening watching Gwen being loaded up onto the tow truck. We got to the Nissan dealership closest to my house. They took it out for a spin and the verdict: transmission is done. Dah!!! Worst case scenario realized. As I was processing what this meant, I asked how much would it be to replace it-$3800, most likely more than my car is worth at this point. So my friend's Daniel and Elina picked me up and drove me to the car rental dealership. Elina remembered that Daniel's brother Kyle and wife Melissa had a spare car. So Elina dials them up and then next thing you know, I have a car to borrow instead of renting one! Praise God. I asked mom and dad to come down Saturday and to help me start my search for a new car. And I bought one! A great little 2008 Civic that's just right for me. I was initially not excited at all about looking for a new car, Gwen was perfect for me! I didn't want to spend any money or have a car payment but once I knew I was getting a new, those feelings changed. However, it is a little bittersweet. I was thinking about when I first got Gwen and the freedom that meant for me and all of the trips to IN, CT, PA, OH, TN, Washington DC, and all the little stops in between. That car has a lot of memories. But then I think, "it's just a car" I can't take it with me, it's been great, I'll miss her, but it's all ok. I was thinking about my first entry when I wrote that even during our crappy days, Jesus makes all the difference...and this whole situation has been a shining example of how true that is and how God provided and answered prayers in ways I wasn't anticipating. I'm so thankful to know Him as my God. He knows us so much better than we think we know ourselves, and provides in unexpected ways and makes the impossible possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment